A prescription discount card is a time-tested method for saving money on prescription drug costs.
GoodRx is one company that has developed a smartphone app to streamline this method of delivering medication discounts.
Currently rated as the top medical app for Android and iOS devices, this app helps you find the lowest prices on virtually every prescription medication.
GoodRx makes it easy to see which nearby pharmacy has the best price on your prescription – and it shows listings for nearly every pharmacy in the United States.
Most people do not realize that prescription drug costs can vary greatly between pharmacies, and even change throughout the day.
Keep reading to learn more about this money-saving app, and how it can help relieve the pressure of affording your prescriptions – whether you have health insurance or not.
What is the GoodRx app?
GoodRx provides an easy way to find the least expensive drug prices in your area, by gathering prices, coupons and discounts offered by each pharmacy.
Because drug prices vary greatly between drugstores – even at pharmacies on the same street – being aware of these differences can save you $100 or more per prescription.
Using the app eliminates the difficult and time-consuming process of doing this research yourself.
The app also provides information about membership programs at certain pharmacies that may provide your most common medications free-of-charge.
GoodRx reviews online are overwhelmingly positive, with satisfied customers reporting substantial savings.
Users also report being pleased by the company’s policy to not collect or sell personal information.
How GoodRx Prescription Discounts Work
How does GoodRx work? To obtain your GoodRx discount coupon or other special offer, simply open the app and look up the name of your medication.
Compare the offerings at different pharmacies, and order from the one that best fits your needs.
Either print the coupon, or save it on your phone. When you pick up your medication, present your printed or electronic prescription coupons, and receive your discounts.
You can use GoodRx to look up discounts on every prescription your family needs, including antibiotics and other drugs taken for a limited time.
The app even works for your pets’ prescriptions. In some areas, you may also get discounts on popular flea, tick and heartworm medications.
Although most large retail pharmacies accept the app and other prescription discount cards, some independent pharmacies may not accept these kinds of discounts.
Some pharmacies listed on the app may also refuse to cover controlled substances, such as hydrocodone.
How to Use GoodRx when you have Insurance, Medicaid or Medicare
Although you cannot use the Good Rx app for prescriptions filed through your insurance, many people use the program instead of their insurance plans.
GoodRx prices can be significantly lower than insurance copayments, especially if you have a high deductible.
It may also be the only way to receive a discount on medications your insurance does not cover. Simply follow the required steps, which include:
- Enter the medication name on the app.
- Locate the pharmacy offering the best discount.
- Compare the discounted price to your insurance copayment.
- If the app’s price is lower than your copayment, order the medication.
- Tell the pharmacist that you want to use a GoodRx discount coupon, instead of your insurance.
Learn About Examples of GoodRx Savings
The average GoodRx app user saves over $250 each year on prescription drug costs. A recent check of GoodRx deals revealed:
- Azithromycin: One Z-pack of this popular antibiotic has a full retail price between $17 and $40. With the app’s coupon, the price dropped to $4.82.
- Duloxetine: This generic version of Cymbalta is used to treat nerve pain, fibromyalgia, depression and anxiety. Thirty 60 milligram capsules cost as high as $257 when paying full retail. GoodRx reveals discounted prices ranging from $6 to $54.30.
- Glimepiride: Amaryl’s generic equivalent is used to treat Type 2 diabetes. Its full retail cost averages around $50. Discounts available through the app reduce your out-of-pocket cost to under $10.
- Diltiazem ER: The generic version of Cardizem LA, this calcium-channel blocker treats high blood pressure and chest pain. The average retail price for a one-month supply is $105. The discounted price averages $30 per month.
If you choose the GoodRx Gold program described below, you will gain access to over 1,000 medications priced $10 or less. The Gold program also offers additional discount memberships explained below.
What is GoodRx Gold?
GoodRx Gold is a paid membership program that provides enhanced discounts for people filling two or more prescriptions each month.
It was created in cooperation with specific pharmacies that agreed to provide larger discounts to customers who purchase multiple generic prescriptions on a regular basis.
Participating pharmacy chains include Albertson’s, CVS, Kroger and Safeway.
GoodRx Gold members who take several prescription medications usually find that their savings exceed the monthly membership fee.
Currently, a GoodRx Gold membership costs $5.99 per month for an individual and $9.99 per month for up to five family members, including pets.
Applicants get the first 30 days free and can cancel anytime. This paid app membership includes bonus features, like:
- Lemonaid Health: Offers convenient online doctor visits for only $10, covering a variety of health conditions including flu, urinary tract infections, acid reflux, birth control and more. Lemonaid Health is currently available in states such as: AZ, CA, CT, FL, GA, IL, MD, MI, MO, NY, OH, OR, PA, RI, SC, VA and WA.
- DentalPlans: Provides exclusive discounts on over 30 major dental plans across the country. GoodRx Gold members can save 10 to 60 percent on certain dental procedures.
- Heartland Veterinary Supply and Pharmacy: In addition to the GoodRx Gold savings on pet prescriptions, your membership provides extra savings on treats, supplements, pet dental care products and more.
- TotalDiabetesSupply: Provides Gold members with 20 percent off test strips, glucose monitors and other diabetic supplies. Orders over $99 ship free, and most orders are shipped within 24 hours.
- PersonalLabs: Allows members to get 20 percent off over 300 common lab tests at over 2,300 labs nationwide. Covered tests include hemoglobin A1c, thyroid panels, pregnancy blood tests and lipid panels.