Where to Turn for Help With Drug and Alcohol Addiction Header Pattern

An alcohol or drug rehabilitation center can be a big expense, especially if you are currently earning a low income.

If a family member or you are currently abusing alcohol or drugs, and need professional treatment, there may be low-cost or free options available to you through your insurance or the state government.

State and government-sponsored programs designed to assist with alcohol abuse and drug addiction can help you, or your loved one, seek treatment without going into debt.

To obtain treatment from a rehab center for free or for a discounted rate, you must consult your health insurance policy, or see if you qualify for a state-sponsored program.

It is important to review your potential treatment and counseling options through Medicaid, the Veterans Affairs (VA) department and other federal and state resources.

Find out more about low-cost drug rehab options by reviewing the sections below.

Will Medicaid or health insurance pay for a rehabilitation center?

If you are experiencing a heroin withdrawal and need medical treatment and medication, your health insurance may contribute to the services provided by a hospital or medical doctor.

In some cases, your insurance may also contribute to additional treatment, such as rehabilitation or drug counseling.

Keep in mind, as with most covered health treatments, you may be responsible for paying:

  • A certain amount up to your health insurance plan’s deductible.
  • Co-insurance.
  • A co-payment.

If you attempt to use your health insurance for an alcohol withdrawal treatment, rehab or substance abuse counseling, you may also be limited to the facilities you can visit.

Your service and treatment may only be covered by your health insurance policy if you visit a facility that is in the approved network.

While you may still be able to seek treatment from a facility or rehabilitation center that is not in-network, you may be required to pay out-of-pocket for expenses, or cover the treatment fees , in their entirety.

It is important to review your insurance policy and ensure you fully understand your financial obligations before seeking treatment.

If you are currently enrolled in Medicaid, a rehab center, substance abuse counseling and other treatments may be covered under this federal insurance program.

The coverage provided for this type of treatment is determined by the state government, and is often analyzed on a case-by-case basis.

To find out if you are eligible to utilize these benefits, you may be required to first visit a physician’s office, or inpatient medical provider that is within your Medicaid network.

This professional will analyze your substance or alcohol dependency, and evaluate your condition.

He or she will also suggest a treatment plan for you, which may include rehabilitation, counseling or medication, such as heroin withdrawal drugs.

This plan is submitted to Medicaid, and if approved, you may follow the treatments, as prescribed.

However, you may be limited to the facilities you can visit to seek treatment, and you may be subject to co-payments or other fees for some, or all, of the services rendered.

Learn About State-Sponsored Rehab Centers

A free or reduced-cost alcohol withdrawal treatment, counseling session or substance abuse rehab facility may be available through a state-sponsored program.

The federal or state governments provide funding to these drug rehabilitation programs, which are administered by the health department.

This federal and state funding is distributed to local treatment facilities so that they can provide treatment to eligible low-income residents who need help combatting alcohol or drug abuse.

To attend a rehabilitation center for free or for a reduced fee through one of these state-sponsored programs, you must first prove that you meet the eligibility criteria.

The specific programs offered through your state’s health department may vary by location, and the qualifications you must meet to enroll may also be different, depending on where you live.

Generally, to obtain benefits from one of these state-sponsored programs, you must meet eligibility guidelines. These relate to your:

  • Residency.
  • Income.
  • Citizenship status.
  • Addiction history and duration.

To prove you qualify to enroll in a free or reduced-cost rehab center, you may be required to provide specific documents of proof, such as paycheck stubs and medical records.

Some programs may only provide free or low-cost treatments if you do not have health insurance, or you can prove your health insurance policy does not cover these services. Depending on your needs and eligibility, you may be offered:

  • Treatment.
  • Detox services.
  • Therapy
  • Other support services.

After applying for treatment through a state-sponsored program, you may be placed on a waiting list for a facility, depending on the severity of your addiction.

In some cases, you may be provided with outpatient and medical maintenance services, including drug withdrawal treatments, while you wait for an inpatient facility, or other more intensive treatments.

Learn About VA Alcohol Withdrawal Treatment and Other Substance Abuse Services

If you are a veteran, you may be able to seek drug rehab services through the VA department.

To inquire about the treatment types you may be eligible to receive, you can speak with a representative at your current VA healthcare provider facility.

You may need to undergo an evaluation by a VA medical professional to assess your addiction, and the potential treatment plan you may need to follow.

If it is determined that you are eligible for alcohol abuse treatment or drug rehabilitation services, the VA medical provider will suggest specific medications and sessions you should attend.

Through these free or reduced-cost services, you may be offered:

  • Outpatient counseling.
  • Live-in care.
  • Detoxification services, including heroin withdrawal medication administered by medical professionals.
  • Relapse prevention assistance.
  • Continuing care.
  • Drug substitution therapies.

Outside of drug rehab services, the VA department can also help you to learn more about local support groups, such as Alcoholics Anonymous (AA), to ensure you have what you need to stay sober after treatment.

VA counselors may also help with outpatient services, and can assist you to potentially link your drug or alcohol abuse to core problems, such as post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), depression or the inability to sleep restfully.

By helping you to identify the cause of your addiction and your need for alcohol or drug rehab, you can begin to work on counseling through these problems to ensure you can remain sober and healthy.

As a qualifying veteran, you may seek these counseling services through approved VA facilities for free, or at a reduced cost.